Tuesday 12 June 2012

on colour palettes and moonrise kingdom

A long time ago, still in University, my first job in textiles defined me as a freelance colourist. The task: Create colourways for a particular design. The norm was to render ten colourways per design assigned, permitting an expedite and successful editing process. These colourways had to be resolved in gouache and at a size of 8x8 inches. "Pan comido"--piece of cake--I thought.
Of course, nothing could be more removed from the truth.
By the sixth colourway, I was on absolute panic mode, scrambling for new palettes--and my general quota was of three designs--at ten colourways each, it meant thirty colour renderings a week!
That was when the Designer's Guide to Color books came into the spotlight. They showcased a vast amount of colour palettes, which in the end, provided a remarkable colour education, inspiring me to create my own palettes (which by the way, it is a common practice in industry) out of images that caught my attention from magazines, my photographs, from walks around the city, movies, and those imagined through literature and music. Ever since then, I have been a "collector" of colour, and this blog presents the perfect vessel for many more palettes. Today, the Color books continue to be favourites of mine, mainly, because even after all these years, the palettes don't feel very dated. In fact, some palettes have remained timeless, the best quality in a good colourist.
Today's palettes branch out from Wes Anderson's new film Moonrise Kingdom. Brilliant in every aspect, including my all-time favourite: styling. Genius! A must see. Of course, there is a lot of khaki and green, nevertheless, some of the palettes are deliciously sophisticated.
Suzy's light
Suzy's props
Suzy's Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment